Oderings Job Application
Havelock North Retail - Assistant Manager
We are seeking an enthusiastic, hardworking, inspiring and motivated leader to join our Garden Centre as an Assistant Manager to help organize and run our retail store and fill in for the Branch Manager when needed. This is a full-time position of 42.5hrs per week and will include a weekend day each week. The Assistant Manager role is critical in supporting the Branch Manager to ensure the success of the branch and development of its team.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring personal and team compliance to all Health and Safety requirements and Business rules and policies
- Demonstrating and leading by example through outstanding customer service
- Having a positive, can do attitude
- Working closely with, and supporting the Branch Manager and team to achieve goals
- Providing clear leadership, communication and direction to the team
- Coordinating efficiently all daily retail operational tasks (e.g. sales processes, orders and payments)
- Completing tasks set by the Branch Manager or National Retail Manager in a timely manner and to an acceptable standard.
- Assisting in identifying team member development opportunities
- Commercial acumen regarding the Retail market, the Garden Retail Industry and competitors activity
- Understanding and Monitoring retail trading metrics eg. Sales, costs, budgets etc.
- Monitoring stock on hand and ordering stock to satisfy customer demand
- Motivating team members to perform at their best
Our ideal candidate will have retail management skills with a sharp business mindset. You should also be skilled at organizing and solving problems. Interpersonal and mediation skills will also be very useful, since you’ll often be acting as a liaison between managers, employees and customers.
- Proven experience as a Retail Assistant Manager or similar position
- Plant knowledge is preferable but not essential
- Understanding of Health and Safety and how it relates to the Gardening and Retail industries.
- Can demonstrate sound commercial acumen
- Proficient user of MS Office (MS Excel in particular)
- Leadership and organizational abilities
- Interpersonal and communication skills
Please fill in the following form and provide a CV and Cover Letter. Ideally your cover letter will cover the following;
- Why you are a good fit for this position, why we should hire you
- What experience you have in retail/horticulture industry
- If there are any days you cannot work or are unwilling to work
- All candidates need to successfully complete a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and an ACC pre-employment check.
- Applicants for these positions should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.