If you have ever wanted to pickle your own olives it is super easy. All you need are green olives, water and salt!
- Green Olives (whatever amount you want to pickle)
- Non-iodised salt
- Remove leaves and stalks and wash olives to remove dust and dirt.
- Carefully slit each olive to release oleic acid. Although time-consuming, if you don't do this, you will end up with bitter olives once they have been pickled.
- Place in a pickling jar with a self-sealing lid. Fill with brine made up of 100 g non-iodised salt per litre of water, making sure olives are all covered.
- After three weeks, drain and wash the olives. Repack in the same cleaned jar and cover with a new brine mixture of 75 g non-iodised salt per litre of water. Alternatively, you can use 950 ml water and 50 ml white wine vinegar. Make sure all olives are well covered with 2 cm brine on top.
- Cover the brine with a thick layer of olive oil to create a seal.
- Leave olives for three months for best results. When ready to eat, you may wish to rinse them in cold water to wash the brine off.